Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 23, 2020

When the person becomes the Taboo

It's so hard to channel my thoughts right now. To limit to one area of research. I want to know and understand everything. 

Like Taboos

I am pretty sure therapists developing certain feelings for their clients is pretty taboo for them. 

And as I am reading about taboos I am realizing that the aforementioned often results in the actual object of affection, who is also coincidentally a person, becoming the taboo. 

I am a taboo. 

It's not my problems or conditions that are taboo. It is not how I behaved or even the misdiagnosis that is the taboo. It is me. I am the taboo and I have become a taboo for a bunch of people. They even want me to taboo myself. I'm not supposed to talk about it. 

It is not unethical for me to talk to people about my experience and yet I have been told it is. But ethics is not why they don't want to talk to me about it. In fact if it were about ethics the opposite would be happening. They would be talking to me about it. It is not a matter of ethics at all. It is a matter of taboo. And I am the taboo... 

No wonder I feel so powerless. Even thinking about me is wrong and forbidden and punishable. Especially thinking of me with any kind of positive regard. 

And I am unjustly and unfairly put into the same category as things like: incest, so many sins against children, cannidbolism, and all sorts of other terrible things that are so taboo I don't even want to mention them. 

 https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/articles/199801/dont-even-think-about-it

It's an old article, and long so I did not read it in its entirety, but it is interesting. I just wish someone would cover the very taboo topic of how some, often irrational, taboos are turning victims into taboos. 

I know others who are also taboo. Voiceless, powerless, vulnerable and broken by the very people who were supposed to be protecting them. The people that were supposed to be loving and nurturing them. Their abusers are not taboo. They still have plenty of life and voice and people are aloud to talk then and about them. They are allowed to accept them and even love them. But that is not how the victim is treated. They, and most who knew the person who is actually the victim, will not talk to them and won't even allow themselves to think about them. And if you try to talk about them to get them help, you will quickly see what I am talking about here. 

If you try to file a complaint on my behalf or try to talk to anyone at the Neuroscience Institute about me, or others who have made the "it's unethical for me to talk about this" claims, or if you try to contact a lawyer on my behalf or the media -and I both give permission and encourage you to do so- you will quickly see just how taboo I am. 

"Anyone who has violated a taboo becomes taboo himself because he possesses the dangerous quality of tempting others to follow his example."
-Sigmund Frued form: Totem and Taboo:Some Points of Agreement between the Mental Lives of Savages and Neurotics

Heaven forbid others may follow my example of wanting to talk about problems, address them, and work to correct them in ways that are fair to all parties and could even benefit many more people to come and even their own business. Heaven forbid we treat people with TBI and mental health issues as intelligent, respectable, and equally human. Sheesh, what a horrible heathen I am!

...and have you ever dared read studies related to any condition you have? You find yourself being equated to mice and your condition the biomarker of you as a human... or something like that. It is not so easy. They rhetoric is very one-sided and dehumanizing. And I think my brain is starting to shut down because of it...

anger. sadness. fatigue. all rearing their UR's (unconditioned responses) to a CS (conditioned stimulus).

Or would my reactions be considered conditioned because they are directly related to effects of TBI and the hopelessness I have been conditioned to feel? 

And maybe the real reason I am struggling to decide and stick to one research topic is because they are all quite painful to study... It's hard to be reduced to statistics and structural abnormalities. It's hard to be the empty and missing voice, all words relating to you and those claiming to represent you and account for your voice coming from the same type of professionals that have used and abused you, refused to listen, and/or discriminated against you... It's hard to be reduced to mere representation by the side that has assaulted you. And made you taboo.



No comments:

Post a Comment