Search This Blog

Monday, September 21, 2020

Gestalt psychology; It's only partially true.

 "In perception, the whole may exceed the sum of its parts," say Gestalt psychologists according to my textbook.

The perception of the whole may exceed the sum of its parts...  I know this. It sounds like mania and situations interpreted when one is manic. 

It sounds like suspected perception errors that I was asking for help correcting. 

It also sounds like ignorance of providers and thinking errors on their parts. 

They wanted to Occam's razor me- simplify it into mere attraction and/or obsession?  And then use that to justify and excuse their not looking further into things that were affecting my health, safety, moods and behavior maybe believing that the whole of me was exceeding the sum of my broken parts.

But their job is to look. Their job is to first do no harm and their job is to be thorough.

They needed to look at the parts and add them up. They needed to check for alternative explanations. 

They needed to LOOK.

The sum of my broken parts, so far have far exceeded the perception of the whole.... What is the term for that? 

Consciousness? Neuroplasticity? Discipline? Success? Intelligence? Toughness? Misunderstood? Discredited? 

We interpret things based on our own experience, perception, depth, complexity... Their whole may be exceeding the sum of their parts... They project a whole that definitely exceeds the sum of their parts. If you have heard any IHC advertisement, especially those about how they care about individuals, then you know what I am talking about. 

And Dr. He, Dr. Concusion, and Patient Advocate too? Are they simply more ignorant, and narrow/small-minded than I am capable of believing them to be? 

Linear thinkers who dare not wander beyond the paths they have been conditioned and trained to think on. Prone to error simply because they cannot see beyond the paths and boxes they are confined to but that we are not? 

"In perception, the whole may exceed the sum of its parts." Degrees and the Prestige we tie to them just may be another example of this, because, after all, an ability to conform and do as told is a very large part of gaining that Prestige. 

And today, during class, one student asked a question. Some bias was sensed in the way she stated it. But is the bias in the student asking the question or is it in the in the person trying to perceive the question? 


...and as I study, determined to solve and fix the systems that break the people they are supposed to be fixing AND in doing so may be breaking the fixers themselves, I often wish to send him links to the scholarly articles of research... the profound madness of his very profession. I think I already have it very well solved, but how to quantify and qualify, that is the challenge. 

I am sorry dear friend that your profession must end at least in the form that it is. 

Love in the therapeutic relationship is both simple and profound and the perceptions of the whole are greater than the sum of its parts while quite the opposite at the exact same time and when the love is real it is twisted too much and lost may be all that he was. 

Lost with me and lost in me, a lost soul myself, who had thought she had finally found home.


No comments:

Post a Comment