Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Rapid cycling

1/1/19 8:30pm
I used to wonder about a thing called "rapid cycling." The term seemed to fit me as I would find myself cycling between extreme highs and lows multiple times within a day or from day to day. But usually it was within the same day. I looked up what it meant but it turned out that what I was experiencing was not really what was defined as rapid cycling. From what I remember the term referred to bipolar types of mania/hypo-mania and depression cycles that would last for a few days to weeks per each up and down swing. Since it was not something that happened that rapidly and I was not "bipolar" I figured the medical/psychological defined term was not a condition or symptom that matched me. I am pretty sure I asked a doctor/psychiatrist/counselor about it also and by their definition it did not fit.
But the term rapid cycle in a different sense is very fitting. Today could be considered a "rapid cycle" day, though not quite the same as they way I would experience it years ago when I wondered about the term. I was not up and down all day and I did not have to work so hard to change somewhat crazy cyclical thinking patterns. Upon reflection now I wonder if my previous "rapid cycling" was just immature and unskilled fighting of negative/destructive and unhealthy thought processes. As I would try to fight my negative thoughts I'd upswing. Upswing as I tried to tell myself the positive or talk myself out of the negative. I would down swing as I realized the ridiculousness of positives. I was fighting myself. At least those are parts as I remember.

 since my "normal" may be "too intense" who freaking knows

No comments:

Post a Comment