Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

yesterday

Yesterday,
after starting the day off real low, I had a great day teaching snowboarding. I got to help a kid face his fears, taking him to the next level. He had a bit of a melt down. I had a good conversation with his dad and in the end I at least got to tell the boy that he did it. Nobody else. He made it down with the fear anxiety and all and that is something he can be very proud of.
I had other fantastic students as well. For a moment, before we switched her to her correct starting group I had a lovely 50+ year old lady with neuropathy who was just learning how to snowboard. She had been misplaced into my group because it had been assumed when she talked about going up a certain lift/hill the day before she had been in a lesson. She had not and she knew nothing about snowboarding so I had to level her down, which she was embarrassed about, but my thought, and I shared this with her, was how freaking awesome she was for having tried it on her own. Everybody assumed she had a lesson because that kind of bravery from a lady her age from a state with no snow is kind of unheard of.
I love this job because I get to meet really great people and I get to work with really great people, who are fun and open minded. They laugh easy and care. It pays lousy but the payoff is quite high.
It was crazy for me to be teaching concussed last year. I know this even more this year as my balance and brain are so much better and I am relieved to know I am a good snowboarder again and the mess of my brain last year has not taken that from me forever.
Snowboarding last year was "A bit reckless" some might say, but it was the home and comfort that I needed. The connection with nature and people that kept me going and kept me okay through a very hard time. It helped me heal.
I am grateful for the job. For my Neverland.
I am curious about my cycling right now.
But grateful that I have come so far.
This type of daily cycling used to be so much more painful and difficult and my self-talk was so hard to redirect, control, whatever.
I am still cycling. Today I am starting a bit low, with yet another lingering cold, but at least I get to work again. And all will be well again. I am grateful I have that confidence now.

No comments:

Post a Comment