Search This Blog

Saturday, February 8, 2020

Adjustments.

Yesterday I had to help with fencing before teaching snowboarding. Fencing is putting up the net fences and taking care of other tasks that need to be done to prepare the ski resort for the day. Yesterday's fencing job included shoveling out one of the magic carpets. It hurt my bruised ribs... But still I worked knowing I probably should not. I eventually told the other two I was working with that I could not go any longer. The job was almost done, I was the only biological female (biologically weaker in physical strength), and the other two are much younger anyway so I didn't feel too bad.
After that I taught snowboarding all day to a higher level kids group -which was better for my ribs especially considering the heavy (albeit awesome fun) snow conditions of the day. Then I finished the work day by helping take fences down. 
I was pleasantly surprised, driving home, that may ribs did not hurt as bad as the day before and my emotions held despite the fatigue. Yet still tired, I pulled into my driveway around 4:45 pm and shut my eyes for a minute; a little rest before unloading my gear. With my eyes closed I felt so heavy and tired I thought I might pass out right there. The degree of heavy-swaying-tired I felt reminded me of my youth. It reminded me of skiing with my day when I was a kid.
My dad, I have mentioned before, is hard core, and not in any kind of trendy, "I'm hard core," kind of way but in the genuine workaholic, push yourself beyond the limit, tougher than nails but still thinks of himself as wimp kind of way. Though he knows he is not a wimp, my dad is not large in stature and he knows he is not as tough as an old western cowboy so he does not think of himself as being as tough as he really is. He can be very hard to keep up with; which can be a challenge but also, I love how much his toughness and his work-hard-play-hard ethics and livelihood teach and inspire me. 
That said, I hope this helps illustrate how skiing with my dad would have been when I was a kid. I loved it. And then, because we were active young stock and of his bloodline, we could kind of keep up... actually, not really, and that is probably why I often got to go with him as the free-child-with-paying-adult; because often my siblings did not enjoy skiing for as long and hard as my dad liked to... anyway, days on the slops with my dad meant: up at the crack of dawn to get there as soon as they opened and skiing nonstop until the resort closed -some stayed open for night skiing, by-the-way, and that made for a very long day. When I say nonstop the only exaggeration is in the occasional bathroom break (probably less than one a day) and maybe a stop for a quick sandwich and drink at the car or no stop for lunch because we could carry a sandwich in our pockets and eat them on the lift. 
It's hardcore. And I remember being so tired when we got home that often I didn't make it out of my base layers before falling asleep. I'd lay down on my bed, just for a minute, for a little rest before changing and going to bed for real. Of course, on those days, I was so tired that I'd feel heavy and swaying and I'd not make it back up to change into pajamas or brush my teeth. I remember, as I would start to fall asleep, I could still feel my body moving form side to side as if I were still skiing down the mountain. It was such a thirst quenching kind of tired. 
That is how I felt in the car after work yesterday. It's a good feeling and I am glad I get to feel it. 
But 
...and now I move again into the processing, writing out, and trying to figure out how to accept the realities that are different now -of my new norm.
...but
it is sad, frustrating, annoying, hard, sometimes discouraging, etc, that my stamina is so much shorter than it used to be. 
I know this a normal part of aging and I am glad I have the health and physical abilities that I do have. I am glad that I can still teach snowboarding at all (just to clarify, it was skiing as a kid and I switched to snowboarding as a teen, but I can and do both. And though I am snowbadextrious, currently I only teach snowboarding). 
I am very grateful for a husband that supports our family well enough and loves me enough that I can have these hobbies and low paying jobs that allow me that freedom, fun and ability. 
Please know, I am so very grateful.
But it is also hard. It is hard to loose healthy functioning parts of your self too soon and it can be hard to adjust. 
Like today, I went and had my blood drawn (again) at about 9 am and fasting. Not a big deal but I could feel, in my tiredness, the blood draining from me and I felt even more like I was going to pass out right there than I did in the car the yesterday day after work. I did not pass out but the prevalence of the tiredness and the draining can be a bit disheartening.  
My husband and I went to breakfast after. Then to Costco to get some prescriptions refills. By then my head was hurting. Right side, pain actually coming from the same region as the damaged temporal lobe. That is where my headaches seem to always be since the car accident (the last TBI). Today it was the kind of headache that pushes on my eyes making it hard to keep them open. 
Now my husband is going up to the ski resort to get a few runs in, I want to go too, but I need to lay down and rest my heavy head... I think I can go and be tough... but getting back up my head starts to hurt again. He doesn't want me to go, he wants me to recover. It is not like him to be concerned and I know if he is worried about me then he is not going to have as much fun so I listen to him and my body and stay home. 
But not without breaking again as evidenced by the stream leaking from my eyes.
I am not tough enough. I want to be stronger. I want to push myself... but I also know better
And, to be perfectly honest, I am kind of afraid of that seizure like activity that the EEG found and that I have been a bit suspicious of... I don't want to push into or beyond that limit.
Adjustments.
They can be difficult
even when they are invisible.
or
maybe
especially when they are invisible. 


No comments:

Post a Comment