Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Semmelweis the Outlier.

I am learning a whole lot in my psychology classes and yet there is not much that is all that new or surprising. But it is organized and the vocabulary is new. So I hope this helps me better structure and organize my thinking. 

Today in PSY 1010 I am reading about memory. It is very interesting especially considering my experience. My professor has a weekly zoom open forum discussion for us. This week I brought up some of the connections I made. I told him about the memory of the straight jacket. He doubts I was in one, claims they have not been used for decades. It was decades ago and another student chimed in to defend because she had one used on her as a child by a dentist. She was fully conscious so her memory is harder to question. Professor still doubts. I brought up some other notices and wonders that I have ...and history repeats. He calls me an anomaly, other times it feels that he is implying I am liar. Thing is, I have never been a very good liar, it's not something I like or want to do, and it does not feel good to me. Yet, somehow, I continue to get myself into trouble for being too honest... 

Concurrently in PSY 3500 we were assigned to read two stories from a book called The Century of the Surgeon, by Jurgen Thorwald. The first story was called "Invisible Assassins" and it was about Joseph Lister; with some coverage of Louis Pasteur.  The second story called "Dirty Hands" was about Ignaz Phillip Semmelweis, the doctor who -through diligence and persistence- discovered that childbed fever was  being spread among patients because surgeons were not washing their hands and equipment. The stories were told in story narrative, the author acting as a character in the story. However, they were not just about the research and discoveries in preventing infection and the spreading of it, they were also about the way the physicians and scientists were treated and the resistance and opposition they faced in trying to spread the news of their discoveries. Semmelweiss was first called crazy and then he was driven to crazy as he fought to protect and save lives...

"They were pioneers"

is what we say now. But they were not seen as that then. They were seen as disruptors, and their truths were likely called anomalies and even lies. They were outliers. Outliers because they cared enough to change their methods and their minds. Outliers because they cared about their patients. Outliers because they valued human life and they would not allow themselves to be comfortable with casualties. 

In "Dirty Hands" page 229, it says "This acceptance of child fever as a thing inexorably fated was an attitude Semmelweiss had naturally absorbed from his teacher-until he himself came face to face with it."  

Face to face

where do you or would you stand?

... Coincidentally at my last appointment with Dr. She she told me I was an outlier and an anomaly...

I think I am getting tired of being an outlier and an anomaly and I do suspect that I am not nearly as much of one as those medical and psychological professional think I am... Or I am but it doesn't need to be that way. 

Rather I suspect I know somethings and I am worth listening to. 

Now back to what I am reading in my PSY 1010 textbook: Retrieval cues.

Like priming: "the activation, often unconsciously, of particular association memories." This is like product placement and strategically placed inspirational poster. It's also the trick: "what color is snow? what color are clouds? what do cows drink?" (hint: they do not drink milk, which is white and what people often say). I think of some things in Dr. He's office. The book of Tao, that was there in the beginning but not at the end. The picture on his wall. And I think of some things he said, like a couple of examples he shared about his kids... that were rather intimate. Priming? 

Then there are context-dependent memories and state-dependent memories... State-dependent memories: "what we learn in one state...may be more easily remembered again in that state." Apparently this can even apply to drunk and sober. ...But I start to feel rather emotional as I continue reading. 

Called and/or implied that I am a liar... And yet it is all right there, in my textbook. I can make connections that I am not sure others can make. Like how Semmelweiss, Lister, and Pasteur were all, even themselves, resistant to believe what they were seeing. They did not want to fight against the others. There were subtleties in the story that suggest they also followed and/or wanted to follow what was popularly believed and/or widely accepted. I suspect if Semmelweiss was not experiencing this he would have figured out the answer to what was costing so many lives a lot sooner. For awhile, the more determined he was to solve the problem the more patients he lost. For a long time he knew he was somehow responsible but he could not figure out why or how to stop it.

I wanted to believe my misdiagnoser's... but to do so was certain death. And I was just a casualty to them. My professor who called me an anomaly and then I read right in my textbook what I was trying to explain to him and what I have tried to explain so many times: "it was if I had some sort of muscle memory and my brain new how to handle it," and "I kept trying to tell them 'I think I am manifesting better than I am'" when I had a TBI that kept being labeled as a concussion.  State-dependent memory... I remembered more than I knew. My body did know how to handle it. 

And I know things that can help people. That can save lives. And I am begging to be heard... because I am outlier... that cares. 

When I suggested the idea that studying the outliers in psychological and medical studies might help us better understand and improve treatments, Professor of PSY 3500 rejected the idea. 

...I am tired today. And extra tremor-y. I have fumbled in both pathetic and unsettling ways. The worst I ever have. It is kind of sad and disturbing. I took an extra half of Adderall- the second 15 mg I am expected to take, but rarely do. I wondered if that might be why... But then I remembered that I forgot to take my Seroguel last night. I remembered around midnight. Which then made sense why I was so awake. But then I was faced with a dilemma, because I was scheduled to meet with a student at 9am. If I took my meds then I would have a terrible time waking up... Should I take the 50 instant release and skip the 200 extended, vice-versa, or some other variation. I did not dare skip it entirely ... I opted for 100 ER and 50 RR. It was very difficult getting up. I definitely did not get as much sleep as I need. Aaahhh and there it is. The likely culprit for my tears about state-dependent memories.

And I wanted so badly to discuss in class the significant number of things we could learn from Semmelweiss in regards to mental health. He as a great and misunderstood man who ultimately, sacrificed himself fighting to save lives from such pointless deaths. He was criticized, fired, ostracized, and treated in all the right ways for the perpetuation of insanity all for trying to stop the pointless perpetuation of death from the spreading of illness due to unwashed hands. I have great respect and regard for him. 

And maybe mental illness is contagious after all. Or maybe it can be caused and spread by others. 

Either way, I do know that we are not immune to how we are treated by others. 

...and likewise, as the story of Gustav Adolf Michaelis illustrates, neither are we immune to how we treat others. He was a good man who actually adopted Semmelweiss's hand washing policies, but succumbed to suicide because he felt personally responsible for the women that died as a result of how he treated them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment