Search This Blog

Monday, March 9, 2009

on becoming mentally responsible

So the thing I don't get is this: if you happen to have mental/psychological defect that may require medication and you responsibly take that route, then you may be viewed as "unstable" or questionable and yet the truth is the mental freakaziods that are completely unstable and most likely to have some major dangerous "incidents" are those that are either 1. completely ignorant, 2. not mentally responsible and denying mental problems altogether or 3. not mentally responsible and refusing to take medication or 4. Trying to take care of there mental issues but not feeling like they can't openly because they fear the repercussions of the label thus avoiding anything, like medication and counseling, that could potentially tie them to the negative stigma of "mentally ill" or 5. Have already been labeled as such and then expected to behave in such a way, not really allowed any opportunity or expectations of something otherwise.

So it is, I get to play this joyous game trying to figure out whats what without letting too many people on to what I am doing and /or taking. I am a dependable and safe person, more so then most, but I have this mind that just doesn't stop at times and this intensity that even I have a hard time with. But I do everything I can to keep it in check, keep myself in check. With some help from others and some brutal honesty with myself, a willingness to accept that I just may be flawed in such a way, and even a willingness to be wrong, I think I've done a pretty darn good job at it and I hope to continue to do so. I also think that it is entirely possible for people with varying degrees of mental illness's to be mentally responsible.

There is a billboard on the freeway for a regular medical hospital that shows a picture of a person that states "Early detection saved my life." I think that can be true of mental illness's as well. I believe that if they are detected early enough not just lives can be saved but quality of life can be improved. I think there are probably a lot of things we can do preventative and that it is entirely possible that with a preventive approach and education of the subject many "breakdowns" can be avoided. It is my opinion that major breakdowns are possibly avoidable and that if we can avoid a first breakdown, a mental illness will be much easier and less costly to manage for a lifetime. But there has to be some acceptance here. This is my opinion this is my stand and this is why I wanted to start this blog in the first place... Now how do I tell people about it without telling people about it??? (letting them on to me)

No comments:

Post a Comment