Search This Blog

Friday, March 13, 2009

Something to be said for counseling

So over the years I've learned a lot of good things on my own. A lot of good tricks. But there is something to be said for good counseling/therapy. Sometimes they can put things you already know in a way that helps them to click a little better. Sometimes they just give you the positive reinforcement that you need. Sometimes they teach you something new all together. And sometimes they say things that you know but didn't realize you know and suddenly things seem to make a bit more sense.
And the reality is if you need medication then you most likely need counseling as well. There is even a good chance that the counseling could help keep you off medication. However, medication is by no means, and never should, be viewed or used as an easy fix to avoid dealing with issues, but then again that is just my opinion.

Here a few things that my counselors have said that have really helped:


*At one point I was venting my frustrations with another person in my life, that I was having to deal with on a regular basis. I complained about how this person didn't give me any credit at all. This wise counselor validated my feelings but then she turned it around and said something to the effect of "But you also have to look at the other side to, You say she gives you no credit at all, but can you blame her?" What!? I thought but she quickly added, "YOU don't give yourself any credit." Good point, how and why should I expect others to give me credit if I really don't give myself any credit. I must say that, that was one of those life changing statements that really does make a huge difference.

*Another counselor and I were discussing physiology affecting the mind versus the mind affecting the physiology of the body. He said that our bodies can react to our minds but it is also possible that our minds try to come up with a reason for why or body is reacting the way it is for no apparent reason. This made a lot of sense to me.

*My first counselor once pointed out that while a pessimist perceives the world more accurately, an optimist sees it for what it could be. Previous to this I vacillated between the two and could truly claim both. But after her pointing it out that way, I realized that it was more of a choice. It has since been easier to choose to be an optimist because, honestly, I don't want to settle for "the way things are."

That's all I'd like to share for now.

1 comment:

  1. I went to a "seminar" once, it was to help me learn to be ok with me. One thing that was really emphasized was that things only have meaning or power if we give them meaning or power. That was very profound for me to think that even if someone told me I was worthless straight up, it didn't mean anything unless I let it. I was destroying myself basically by letting things get to me. That was life changing for me...one of the many life changing moments.

    ReplyDelete